I’m surprised I’m just now thinking to post this but better late than never! lol
The following is a list of men on Broadway who have ruined it for any and all other men due to setting unrealistic and unattainable hearthrobe serenading standards:
- Jonathan Groff- forgive him for forgetting the lyrics and being a lil pitchy in this video bc trust me, he’s perfect!
- Jeremy Jordan- How can he even be real. Like seriously. How can one person ooze sensual, emotional, sincerity all at the same time
ALSO A BONUS DUET! 🙂 (The sound system couldn’t handle their awesomeness!)
- Stark Sands- such angst, much face melting vocal power. ALSO I think having a name like “Stark” earns you like a thousand bonus hot points. dammmn
- Skylar Astin- I thought it would be cheating to post the heavily edited Pitch Perfect soundtrack but he does come from a broadway background so he counts!
- Ben Platt &
- Lin-Manuel Miranda
A TWO FOR ONE!?! WHAT DID WE DO TO DESERVE SUCH BEAUTY. ITS TOO MUCH FOR ONE VIDEO TO CONTAIN!!
ALSO A THROWBACK TO A CLASSIC OLDIE BUT GOODIE ❤
this is definitely not a complete list but enjoy 😉 and comment with your faves!
Grease is my all time favorite musical and leading up to this event, I swore I was not going to give FOX the time of day. But I couldn’t resist turning it on tonight so FOX do not ruin this for me.
I had so many thoughts in my head as soon as it started that I decided to “live tweet” it. Here’s what I got so far:
- I think Jessie J did a good job on the Grease song but I don’t have a great feeling in my stomach about the breaking the 4th wall thing, exposing the set like that.
- Also, I know it’s not really important but from a historical aspect, schools were not integrated in 1959. I respect the diversity and have no problem with it, but as a history buff, I did notice.
- I’m still not sure about Aaron Tveit as Danny Zuko
- Ana Gasteyer is the PERFECT person for that part.
- I hate Vannessa Hudgens as rizzo. It’s just insulting. She has no swagger. Just because the wig makes you look the part does not mean you are Rizzo.
- AND Carly Rae Jepson as Frenchy is just a joke.
- SALT LAKE CITY? What? why would changing where she comes from be useful?
- Summer Nights I give 8/10 They just can’t hit the notes like John and Olivia.
- WTH is with Mario Lopez? When did Broadway shows start having hosts?
- There is some clever lines thrown in there. I give the writers props for that.
- Okay. Sandy is not supposed to be good at cheer leading. And I don’t like the studio audience. Hearing them and seeing them interrupts getting into the show.
- I really tried. But I can’t. Call me a theater or Grease snob but it’s too different. I made it about a half an hour in but I’d rather watch the Law & Order: SVU marathon.
*Update: Ok, after a day to consider how I feel and finding out about Vannessa Hudgen’s father, I feel bad for bashing her last night. So I will say this, I cannot imagine having to perform hours after such a loss. Watch the video of here performance here.
I did not keep the show on long enough to hear this song but she did an exceptional job. She may not have “won me over” but it was very emotional (which the song already is for me) and the closest she reached to the original Rizzo.
But if you watch the original, Stockard Channing’s voice may not be perfect but she nails the inflection and body language, and the added panning to Kenickie at times only makes it more meaningful. I’m sorry this is such an “analysis” but I think Grease is so important to me because I see so much of the innocent “Sandra Dee” in me even though I wish I could have a little more of Rizzo’s confidence. So that song in particular resonates with me because I see the vulnerability of Rizzo. This was also the first “broadway movie” I had on VHS (It even came with a mini original script) 🙂 so I’m a bit protective of it.